While I'm just finishing up my 8th round of SIBO treatments I'm finding I gravitate towards all veggies that are cooked through and presenting a softer texture. This is where my Insta Pot comes in very handy! I simply prepare my veggies and place into the Insta Pot and my lunch for the next 3-4 days is ready! Please note, if you are reacting to histamines you will want to be careful with leftovers. I started preparing 'soup' every single day in the beginning of my treatments 2 years ago because I was reacting to EVERYTHING. So just be aware this makes a bigger batch to last for a few days. I personally react to histamines from the fermentation of any leftovers. I can now though successfully eat this stew for 3 days and then the fermentation starts to really make my histamine reactions come on full steam. I'm usually ok with chicken as long as its organic and pasture fed. If my chicken is fed grains or is not organic it is likely I will react. The symptoms I receive from histamines are itchy skin, hives at times, itchy scalp and tinnitus. I also know when I've simply had too many histamines because forget falling to sleep that night with the whistles blowing through my ears! Please note, these veggies work for ME. If you have a hard time tolerating any of the veggies mentioned in the recipe below, please swap them out for what works for you! Whatever you do don't give up! Trust me! Having chronic SIBO for the past 2 years I've learned not to get discouraged. If you react take out the offending food or simply try reducing it and seeing if that helps! Every single week is different as we continue to heal ourselves. Stay positive!
1.5 pounds of organic chicken thighs
1.5 pound of organic chicken breasts
2 fennel bulbs
2 medium sized zucchini (peeled and deseeded)
1 leek (use only green parts for SIBO friendly)
6 carrots - diced
2 bunches of cilantro stems removed
ree3-4 cups homemade bone broth - you can find my bone broth recipe here
4T organic tomato paste
1. Take cilantro and remove bottom of stems. Rinse. Place in blender and blend with 1/2 cup of water to make a liquid. Reserve.
2. Take chicken thighs and chicken breasts and place on bottom of instant pot. Add 2t of salt to chicken and 2T of turmeric and 2T cumin. Rub around chicken to coat evenly.
3. Cut veggies, fennel, carrots, zucchini and leek. Place on top of chicken.
4. Pour 3-4 cups of already pre-made of homemade bone broth on top also add 4T of tomato paste.
5. Pour reserved cilantro mixture over veggies and chicken.
6. Cover and lock the lid in place. Make sure it is sealed. Turn instant pot on and set 12 minutes cook time on high pressure.
7. Open the lid away from your face. Stir with a wooden spoon or spatula.
There you have it! One of my GO-TO lunchtime meals while healing from SIBO! This stew is wonderful even if you aren't having a flare from SIBO and/or IBS. It's simply that good!
Nutritional Information: 6 servings
Calories 345, Fat 10.6, Carbs 9.9g, Protein 51.9
(You can lower protein in half by leaving out 1.5 pds
chicken thighs and/or chicken breasts)